“The world is your playground.” That’s what my dad always used to tell me. He’d often also say things like, “you only get one body” and “travel while you can”. So, here is me, paying it forward. I sincerely hope someone who needs this, reads this. I hope it will change your life, as it has mine.
Look, you’re never too old to travel. I don’t care if you’re 18 or 81, travel is for everyone. There are endless benefits to traveling. Here are just a few:
- Travel broadens your horizons. When you travel, you’re exposed to new cultures, new people, and new experiences. This can help to open your mind and change the way you see the world.
- Traveling can teach you a lot about yourself. When you’re out of your comfort zone, you learn more about what you’re capable of and what you really enjoy. For example, I never would have guessed that I enjoy camping and hiking, but after spending a month backpacking, I can say that it’s one of my new favorite things to do.
- Travel can help relieve stress. Another great reason to travel while you can, is that a simple change of scenery can be just what you need to break free from all the stressors of your daily life, relax, and recharge. We all have busy lives and sometimes we just need a break to get away for a bit.
- Travel can be great for your health. While stress relief is certainly great for your health, when you travel, you’re also quite often more physically and mentally active than you may be at home. You walk more, you explore more, you may even take the time to invest in yourself by learning a new language, and you generally just move around more. This can all help to improve your overall fitness and mental well-being.
- Travel can improve your relationships. Traveling can be a great way to spend quality time with the people you love. It can also help to create new and lasting bonds with the people you meet while on your travels.
These are just a few of the many reasons why you should travel while you can. So what are you waiting for? The world is your playground! Get your traveler’s insurance (if traveling internationally), and then get out there and explore it! Have fun.